Friday, September 26, 2008

Thar's gold in them thar hills!

As a dog, and a very cute dog I might add, I have no idea what this blog is about. My people went somewhere with some other people and left me in the backyard all day and into the evening. Holy crap! That is a very long time to dodge the peach-throwing squirrels that have descended upon my little piece of paradise. That's right, folks...peach-throwing squirrels. You see, there are a couple of enormous peach trees in the front yard of our little 100+ year old house which have produced enough peaches to feed the entire state of Colorado. Not being a big peach eater myself, most of the fruit is just hanging around (ha ha, get it??!! 'hanging around'!) waiting for someone or something to pick it. The squirrels that live in the neighborhood seem to like peaches for a bite or two, then they get bored with them. So here's the deal...the squirrels have a little peach party in the front yard, pick a bunch of peaches, take a bite or two out of each one, throw a few around the front yard for the rabbits (who really, really like the peaches), and carry the rest of them across the tree branches, jump on the roof of the house, scamper up and across the roof into the backyard, jump on another tree branch and then, yes... no kidding.. then, ...yes ...ready...aim...and fire!! Those little furry rodents throw the peaches at me! I could not make this up. I bark like a lunatic, but they just giggle and throw some more.

How embarassing. How humiliating. How can I ever explain to my people how all of these peaches ended up in the backyard? I tried to bury them, but just couldn't dig fast enough. To make matters even worse, there is a grape arbor (is that what they really call this thing?) in the backyard. It has tons of purple grapes on it, and don't you know the squirrels don't eat those either, no...they just throw them. At me. Then they run and get more peaches. Damn.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You can enjoy peach throwing by pretending peaches are balls. Well why not, they have a few bites in them but you are a dog, seriously.
-Posted by Ryan Bier