Friday, September 12, 2008

Toto...we're not in Kansas anymore!!

(Yes, I realize that I am missing about 4 weeks of blog entries, and they will be coming soon. But because my life is rather chaotic and this particular blog entry did not require photos to be uploaded, you get this one early. Or on time. Or late.)

Toto...we're not in Kansas anymore!

I am not really Toto, but I do look a lot like Toto - except that I am a strawberry blond, not a brunette, and Toto lived like fify or seventy years ago and might have been a girl. I don't know. I'm just saying that we spent two days in the car driving from Denver to Dallas and it seemed like 95% of that time was spent in Kansas. Why would anybody want to go back there? And why did Dorothy keep saying 'There's no place like home...there's no place like home..." in reference to Kansas? Seriously?! The land of Oz was a whole lot more interesting that anything in Kansas. In an effort to be open minded about the whole Kansas thing I tried to humor myself as we slowly passed the miles. (I say slowly because we were in the car behind Paul & the trailer, and we all know that Paul is a very slow driver - reference Erik's blog regarding alpine slide)

After 2 days of exhaustive research I have learned that this is what Kansas has to offer - which is likely the reason Dorothy and Toto were so anxious to get 'home':

1. Home of a 5-legged steer
2. Home of the world's largest prairie dog
3. Home of a 2 headed quail
4. Home of the world's largest corn husk collection
5. Home of the Sorghum Museum (is that what is growing in all those tens of thousands of acres of cropland across the state? What the heck is sorghum? And who uses it? Maybe we should have stopped at the museum.)
6. Home of Bunker Hill - with actual bunkers. When did Kansas come under attack? And what were they defending? Sorghum?
7. Home of the Salinia Lighthouse. A huge lighthouse at the Salina exit...there is no water for about 1300 miles so it is important to have a lighthouse to warn all those ships of the pending danger of running aground in the sorghum fields.
8. Home of the "2nd Friendliest Yarn Store in the Universe". Would you advertise that?

Toto...we're not in Kansas anymore. Music to my ears - thank goodness!

As our roadtrip continued...

Holy crap - Oklahoma??? There is a Dairy Queen every 14 miles which is great news for those of you who are not lactose intolerant. I believe Oklahoma is also home to every known BB-Q restaurant with a logo that includes a pig caricature. Porky's, Bubba's, Piggy's, Oinker's, Fatsy's.... thankfully that leg of the drive went by rather quickly.

Now we are in Dallas bracing for hurricane Ike. Guess I will have to take my walks in the rain for the next couple of days. I hate rain. Damn. (but the good news is that we are NOT in Kansas anymore!!)

No comments: