Saturday, June 28, 2008

Up, Up & Away *People Notes*

We just had to do it. We had to face the challenge of driving Trail Ridge Road just days after it had been cleared to open for the summer - but then it snowed again and was closed again, then open again, then closed again...

Factoids: Trail Ridge Road is the section of U.S. Highway 34 which runs from Grand Lake, through Rocky Mountain National Park to Estes Park. Or, if you are driving the other direction it runs from Estes Park, through Rocky Mountain National Park to Grand Lake. Either way, it crosses the Continental Divide, reaches an elevation of 12,183', and is the highest continuous paved highway in the United States. It takes an average of 50 days to plow Trail Ridge Road to get it open, and is only open from June through August. It opened in 1932, runs for 48 miles and crosses several mountain ranges including the 'Never Summer Mountains'. Go figure.
We had 'fun' in an adventurous, hold-on-to-your-seat-don't-look-down-say-a-prayer kind of way. (*side note: unlike Odie, Jeannie is prone to car sickness...this may have been a bad idea) Happy Trails!

1 comment:

MontanaMonty said...

Hi Odie!! Welcome to the Rocky Mtns. My name is Montana Monty and I am a very handsome Golden Retriever. I just turned 1 year old last week. My people (Greg & Pat)take me out into the mountains all the time also. It's really fun huh!! I live with Gramma Holly (she's 12 and also a Golden) and Aunt Sidney (she's 10 and a Jack Russell). They're kinda grumpy sometimes. I love rolling in anything I can find to - there is some good stuff out there.

My brother lives right across the street with his man (John). He lives with our real Uncle Kirby (he's 2) and I stay with him every day when our people are at work.

Greg has just taken up overnight backpacking and I spent my first night out in a tent wiht him a few weeks ago. It was VERY SCARY!! There are a lot of things that go bump in the night!! I kept waking him up to go see what was out there but he just told me to go back to sleep. He even makes me wear my own pack and carry my bed and food!! It's like work!!

My man is going to send pictures to your people via email cuz he can't figure out how to do it thru the blog!! Maybe we can play together sometime since you're so close now!!

See ya later!!