Saturday, July 19, 2008

Into Thin Air *People Notes* - Part 2













Note to self**

**When your son fondly recalls a mountian hike he did in his youth (I'm guessing 18 - 20 years old) and claims that it was one of his 'favorites', it is not necessarily a good idea for the parental units to attempt to re-live his youth.

This brings us to the Byers Peak hike. Although the guidebook states that it is a mere 2.3 miles to the summit, it has not been updated to include the fact that the road has been closed an additional 2 miles down from the trailhead, so the roundtrip is now 8.6 miles. Up. Both ways. Seriously.
The elevation gain had to be somewhere in the thousands of feet...several thousands of feet. All of them in the last 1 mile.





We did it - it was actually a phenomenal hike, gorgeous views of the entire Frasier Valley, definitely pushed our limits at the summit (again, see people notes part 1 regarding fear of heights) and we were very proud of our accomplishment! Look out Mt. Everest...here we come! Just as we headed down the peak, several mountain goats shot out in front of us (why were we higher than the mountain goats?) Odie really wanted to play with them, but I determined that was not the best idea.






Then we celebrated! To be continued...

2 comments:

Erik & Katy said...

I'm pretty sure that when I told you about the Byers Peak hike, I was *very* careful to note a very important caveat --- it's a tough hike! That last mile is like a staircase without steps.

Very cool pics of the mountain goats! I never saw them up there, which almost makes me want to go back. . .except that it's been a while since I walked up a hill, much less a mountain!

Shawn said...

Wow--I love living vicariously through my young travelers. You and Jeannie are the best and I wish you luck with Everest..

Shawn